November was a winner this year. I got to see two of my favorite bands perform (Grouplove & Great Good Fine Ok), spent my birthday hanging out with my mom, saw the new Fantastic Beasts movie, got The Weeknd's new album (constantly jamming to it), and took engagement photos for my friends that I'm obsessed with. Thanksgiving was a little empty this year since so many of my family members were spread out across Texas, so it was just a small group of us. Next year my birthday is on Thanksgiving, so here's hoping we can all celebrate together! In other good news: I got a new job! I'm so grateful & excited for what's to come! Seriously, November is always my lucky month. I hope yours was just as good!
11.28.2016 • outfits
JACKETS ARE BACK. I haven't worn a jacket since March! It feels weird covering up so much skin after living in shorts and dresses for so long. But it's nice. And it's nice to be wearing gingham again. You know how some pieces only look appropriate during certain seasons? That's definitely the case with this gingham print dress; it only shows up a couple times in the fall, otherwise it doesn't exist. I last wore it on the blog a couple years ago, but I also remember wearing it specifically for Thanksgiving last year because it works great for hiding a food-baby. What more could I need in a dress? Well, pockets would be great. If it were up to me, every dress for the rest of eternity would be made with hidden pockets. You with me, ladies?
ASOS gingham dress (similar)
Old Navy utility jacket (similar)
Madden Girl fringe boots
Ban.do pin via Riff Raff
Happy birthday to me! Every year I tell myself I'm going to prepare a birthday post with me looking cute along with 2 giant, golden number balloons letting you all know how old I am. You know, a blogger tradition! But I have failed every year so far. Maybe next time. I don't really know what to make of 26. It's kind of an awkward year, isn't it? Feels similar to 23. I imagine this is what all new ages will feel like once I pass 30. But let's not talk about that. To commemorate another year around the sun, I wrote down some things I have recently come to learn—most of them in just this past year actually. Please note that they were intended for myself and what I have personally experienced, but if you can relate, then that's awesome! And if you disagree, well that's cool too.
26 things I have learned at 26:
1. Travelling alone to another country isn't as scary as it seems.
2. Getting a good job is mostly about who you know.
3. If he says he's "not like other guys," he's probably like other guys.
4. Friendships take work. If you're the only one putting in the effort to hang out with a friend, something isn't right.
5. Not all strangers on the train want to murder you.
6. Alone time is crucial.
7. You're not going to meet the ~love of your life~ from a dating app.
8. Give new genres of music a chance even if you don't think you'll like it.
9. If you don't want to be a bridesmaid, speak up.
10. You're allowed to turn down a drink that some rando guy bought you without asking if you wanted one first.
11. It's also okay to say no to a date even if you're free. Sometimes you just don't feel like it.
12. Avoid saying "sorry" when you didn't do anything wrong.
13. No dude is "a bad texter" or "too busy to hang out." He's just not that into you.
14. It's okay to hide your dad on Facebook to avoid disastrous political rants.
15. Go to every music festival you possible can while you're still young.
16. Never settle for a crappy view at your first Taylor Swift concert.
17. Invest in people who invest in you.
18. Find other empowering women, make them your friends, and cling to them for life.
19. Texts from old flings should be ignored at all costs.
20. Even if you think you don't have a shot at something, try anyway.
21. People appreciate it if you ask to pet their dog first before doing so.
22. People don't appreciate it when you ask if you can take their dog home with you.
23. Don't buy a non-refundable plane ticket to Portland unless you're 1000% sure you're going to go.
24. If you're thinking something nice about someone, tell them.
25. Cherish being single while you still can because one day it will all change.
26. Unless you're just joking around, stop saying "I'm so old." No you're not. You are young as hell.
11.21.2016 • life
My birthday is on Wednesday, and I don't really have a lot of feelings about it, to be honest. Having a birthday the day before (or even the week of) Thanksgiving is kind of a buzzkill. It always has been. Friends are either working or out of town already, so I usually have to find other means to entertain myself. Next year my birthday is actually ON Thanksgiving, so I'll probably just be putting candles in some yams instead of a cake. Which is fine since I don't even like cake. I'm down with yams though.
People asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year, and I honestly didn't know what to say. My birthday wishlist gets shorter every year because there aren't many things I want anymore. Instead I try to think in terms of things I need; like if I ran out of my favorite facial cleaner or I'm in need of a new eyeliner (as shown above). Birthday gifts to me are more meaningful when they're more of an experience like a trip, a concert, or even a simple dinner. When someone gifts me their time, I appreciate it the most. But you can't really put those things in a blog post, so we'll stick with this for now! It's a short list, but here we go:
1. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: I got to try the trial version earlier this year, and I've been hooked ever since. I've been doing the winged eyeliner look since the 7th grade, so I've tried a lot of liquid liners since then. This one is just top notch, y'all.
2. Ray-Bans: I've never bought expensive sunglasses, and I know I don't NEED them. But these have been on my wishlist for so long that I'm gonna keep hoping they'll one day find their way into my life and onto my face.
3. Scrappy Little Nobody book: I adore Anna Kendrick. I read an excerpt from her book awhile back and knew I had to read the rest of it as soon as possible. People often say that they want Mindy Kaling to be their best friend (and I love her too), but I think Anna and I are on the same level of dorky-ness.
4. Car charger: Okay, this I actually need, haha. My phone dies on me while I'm out & about all the time! My birthday wishlist is so glamorous, I know.
5. Work out mat: I have a thin work out mat right now that has been ripped to shreds. I think I bought it for $10 at Target. I keep meaning to buy a thicker, more legit one since it's easier on my back and wrists. Old age, I tell ya.
6. Portable Bluetooth speaker: It doesn't have to be this one; I'm just not super tech-savvy when it comes to knowing what the best brands are. I was given TWO portable speakers last Christmas, and since then they both have busted on me. Now I have to put my phone in a bowl to play music like a peasant.
7. Black beanie: Basically just because I lost the only other black beanie I had. This past weekend temperatures dropped to the 50s, and I was freezing with no winter accessories at the ready! Every year I forget what cold weather feels like, so I'm usually unprepared when it finally hits.
8. Adidas 'Superstar' sneakers: I know, I know, how basic of me to want a pair of shoes that everyone seems to have. But y'all, they go with EVERYTHING; I've seen them styled so many different ways, and I am definitely a sucker for a good versatile shoe.
9. Khiels skin care line: As I mentioned above, I ran out of my favorite face stuff. It's pricey, but it's the best.
I was going to post this outfit last week, but it just felt too unimportant what with everything going on. But life goes on, and here we are. If you want to know how I feel about last Tuesday, this tweet sums it up nicely.
ANYWAY. Austin is slowly starting to get the memo that it's fall. We now have temps in the mid-70s! Shocking, I know. I haven't quite taken out my jeans and booties yet though. I wore leggings while out for brunch one chilly morning, and by noon I was already ripping them off (I received many stares). So yes, I am still wearing shorts and baring my shoulders in mid-November. For the first time I'm not complainging about it though. I usually can't wait for cold weather, but right now? I'm enjoying the sunshine for as long as I can before 2017 arrives. I'll need all the Vitamin D I can get.
p.s. Notice the sandal tan lines? I told y'all I'm always wearing my Chacos, ha!
p.s. Notice the sandal tan lines? I told y'all I'm always wearing my Chacos, ha!
Riff Raff olive top (c/o, more off-the-shoulder pieces)
Riff Raff TX blue cap (c/o, exact)