Photos by Becca Gamache Photography
You know those certain pieces of clothing that no longer fit, but you just can’t bring yourself to give them up? That was the case with these sunflower print shorts. I got them YEARS ago and wore them all the time! Then suddenly one day I was unable to pull them up past my thighs… I distinctly remember wanting to wear them to the ACL Music Fest last year but physically couldn’t; it was so sad, y’all. Truly the worst day of my life! I kid, but you get it. What do you do when clothes no longer fit? Keep just in case or get rid of them?
Here are a couple points on my mental check list I consider when deciding if I should keep or quit a piece:
- Will you genuinely miss this piece when it’s gone? No, REALLY, will you??
- How often do you wear it? Is it one of your top go-to items or does it barely leave your closet?
- How versatile is it–can you mix & match with multiple things?
- How much did you pay for it? If it was cheap, is it really such a loss?
- Is the sizing now SO WAY OFF that it’s pointless to keep, or is there a chance your body could fluctuate to fit the piece again?
- Could you easily buy this exact piece elsewhere in a more comfortable size?
Had this been ANY of the other pairs of shorts I own, I would have immediately thrown them in the donate pile, but for the first time ever I decided to hang on to them JUST IN CASE. I asked myself all of the questions listed above and quickly realized I wasn’t ready to give up on this piece yet and that there was still hope I’d be able to wear them in the near future. Cue to a few weeks ago: they decided to fit again!! I’m not sure how long this will last since my weight tends to fluctuate often, but I’m taking advantage of it while I can. Normally I wouldn’t condone keeping clothes that don’t fit you anymore, but I guess this story proves there are some exceptions to the rule. What do you think?
Forever 21 top
American Apparel sunflower shorts (similar)
Sam Edelman sandals
Hat found in Maui; similar here
Melie Bianco bag (borrowed)
Ava Hoop Earrings c/o Shira Melody Jewelry
Xoko scarf (gift)